Thursday, November 26, 2009

Kitten Update

Time for a feline paradigm shift: Baby Louis is a fiend for chasing a ball of crumpled paper (as well as every other kind of potential game or trouble-making opportunity, like leaping through a big drawing while I'm holding it up, just like a tiger through a flaming hoop) and last night, while I was endlessly throwing this type of paper ball for him to retrieve, 15-year-old Archie half-lunged as the tempting ball buzzed past his head. The next time I threw it, Archie leaped spectacularly from Larry's pajama-clad lap and chased the ball around in a spirited fashion - something I've never seen him do in fifteen years! All of his postures, of leaping and pouncing on the ball of paper and staring pointedly at me afterwards to throw yet another ball of paper, were totally new, and look exactly like the way that Louis moves in those situations, looking to me as if the behaviours are newly learned, like from a how-to video on How To Be a Kitten.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, isn't it remarkable how the older cat learns from the younger newer one. When Blanco (a white cat, quelle surprise) came into our lives, Bounty (an orange cat who was 18!!) became more lively - in response to the younger, newer energy in the feline realm of the household. They're clever little things, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louis is beautiful! I hope I can meet him someday. The only problem with reading your blog, is that I want more! Your writing is so entertaining. Could you please write another book just for me? Bhat Gurl is looking forward to meeting you. Her funny habit is that she sucks on her own nipple to sooth herself. Every time she settles down and is purring loudly, she's sucking away and makes her whole stomach wet with saliva. When she's in this state, you can lift her and move her anywhere, and she remains in a trance.

    Monique

    ReplyDelete